Scientific Support Officer (Part Time)
A part time opportunity exists for a Scientific Support Officer to join the Laboratory Operations team at the Burnet Institute and provide wash room and autoclaving services. Part time hours are 4 hours per day over 5 days (20 hours per week) with flexibility around starting and finishing times.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Washing and autoclaving all glassware and or heat sterilisation
- Autoclaving of all plasticware and liquids
- Waste autoclaving and disposal
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA:
- Completion of Year 12 or equivalent
- Previous experience in a research laboratory environment
- Demonstrated experience or knowledge of the use of autoclaves and laboratory washing machine
- Proven ability to work independently and without supervision
- Proven ability to work effectively with a diverse group of people, responsive to support requests
- Experience with safe handling of OGTR, AQIS, hazardous chemicals and biohazardous material (preferable)
- Demonstrates initiative and capable of identifying issues and willing to improve processes and procedures (preferable)
- Basic Microsoft Office skills to be able to access and apply standard operating procedures (preferable)
Remuneration will be commensurate with skills and experience, with generous salary packaging options available.
Burnet Institute is committed to providing our people with a supportive working environment. We value diversity and gender equity at the institute and provide flexible working arrangements for our staff. Burnet is participating in the Science in Australia Gender Equity (SAGE) Pilot of the Athena SWAN Charter in Australia.
To apply for this position, please complete the details below and attach the following documents:
- Statement addressing the key selection criteria (as outlined above and in the attached position description)
- Resume including the names and contact details of three referees
Applications close Sunday 18th February 2018 at 11:30pm AEDT (GMT+11)
As part of our commitment to gender equity, we have included a question in the application process on gender. This will allow us to monitor and report on gender in relation to our recruitment process. This field is not compulsory.
Burnet is a child safe organisation. The successful applicant may be required to apply for a Working with Children check and/or criminal record check from the Australian Federal Police.